I will be honest, never since the history of my existence, did I ever expect to be living in an era where I would experience a pandemic. Its scary as hell for me, someone who suffers from anxiety. Literally everyone I know is afraid of the COVID-19 virus.
The Smell Of Death Has Surrounded Us.
There are those who are living in first world countries with many resources, and at this moment in time even they are falling short on assisting the citizens of their country, due to a lack of resources and infrastructure.
Why South African’s Are Panicking?
We in South Africa, as a third world nation, are already facing diseases such as T.B and H.I.V and with COVID-19, this could surely spell disaster and serious trouble.
So if you want to know what you can do to prevent your mind from falling into a downward spiral while you are in lockdown, I suggest that you take heed of what I am about to say.
The key to staying sane during these trying times is prayer, perseverance and having something to do with yourself, other than binging on food and Netflix. (As tempting as that may sound)
For the first time in a long time, many people will be together at home, with their families for such a long period of time. This enables each person to reflect on their lives. For some, this introspection could mean facing some harsh truths and, this could be a Godsend.
Want To Know How To Make Use Of Your Time?
- Firstly limit your intake and interaction on social media. If you are someone who suffers from depression and anxiety, the media will drive you to insanity with cases of those who have been infected and you will undoubtedly sink further into depression.
- Set a daily routine for yourself. Do Not stay in your pajama’s all day or sleep the entire three weeks of lockdown. Keep your home clean and work out too.
- Practise an intense regimen of personal hygiene and take necessary precautions should you leave your home for essentials. Eat healthy. Avoid certain foods such as cold drinks etc.
- Pray. Pray. Pray. Yes, you heard right, the secret to happiness and contentment lies in prayer and meditation – contemplate your very existence. Why were you put on this earth to begin with? Have you ever thought about that? Everyone has a purpose and if you are not living out your purpose, then perhaps it is time to do something about it.
- Other than social media the internet is swarming with educational resources to equip you with new skills. I reckon, this learning curve could land you the job of your dreams when you are out of quarantine/lockdown. Yes, you will get out of this alive, don’t worry.
- You can still communicate with loved ones and friends via specific channels. This is the opportunity you have been waiting for, to make amends with those you have neglected.
- For those of you who are Muslim, prepare for the upcoming fasting month in terms of increasing certain prayers and seeking forgiveness from the almighty.
Understand two things clearly, you are not in control of your destiny. Do you remember all of the plans you had for this year? Oh dear, I had many of those too. There is a higher power who can wipe out nations in an instant. This very same Allah (GOD) can also create miracles, overnight. Yes, life as we know it will never be the same again for any of us, even if we did not lose a single loved one through this virus, there are repercussions that accompany this pandemic. The world as you know it, will undoubtedly change, perhaps for the worst, or maybe, just maybe for the better. Despite things looking rather bleak at the moment, adapt an optimistic attitude and a positive outlook and believe me, this will get you through anything, at all, that you have to face.